WELCOME TO THE ALLEY THEATRE
HOUSTON’S THEATRE COMPANY
The Alley was founded over 60 years ago as Houston’s theatre company. It exists to provide audiences with the highest quality theatre, offering a wide variety of work including new plays, classics, the re-discovered and the rarely-performed, and new musical theatre, with an emphasis on new American works – to provide the inspirational and the provocative – to make our audiences think, feel, dream, and be entertained.
The Alley Theatre is one of the few American Theatre companies that supports a company of actors, designers, artisans and craftspeople throughout the year. Our productions are built and rehearsed in the Alley Theatre Center for Theatre Production – a 75,000-square-foot facility adjacent to the theatres themselves – that is state-of-the-art and one of the most complete and largest facilities of its kind anywhere.
On our two stages – the 824 seat Hubbard Stage and the 310 seat Neuhaus Stage – we present a wide ranging repertoire of 11 productions each season, including our new production of A Christmas Carol. The Alley is also home to our educational programs, where we connect with the youth of the city and state – our future audience and future artists – through programs such as From Stage to Page, HYPE (Houston Young Playwrights Exchange) and the Young Performers Studio.
Throughout our history, the Alley has earned a national and international reputation for artistic achievement, including the Tony Award, and Alley artists have garnered praise from audiences across the country.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Gregory Boyd and Managing Director Dean Gladden, the Alley is committed to moving forward to increase its reach into the community, to further its collaboration with the best theatre artists working today, and to encourage and cultivate the new voices, new work, new artists of the American theatre.
We are proud to be part of Houston and Houston’s refulgent arts scene – one of the most dynamic and diverse anywhere. And we are grateful for our subscribers and loyal supporters – many of whom have been with us for years, and many of whom are just joining the Alley and discovering its vitality and excitement.
The Alley knows that theatre is a powerful and transformative experience, and we look forward to sharing it with you – every time you become part of the Alley Theatre audience.
The mission of the Alley Theatre, under the direction of Artistic Director Gregory Boyd and Managing Director Dean Gladden, is to deepen the understanding of ourselves, one another, and the world we share by uniting theatre artists and audiences to experience the power of stories that illuminate the breadth and complexities of the human condition.
- Creative Excellence – We ensure that our efforts result in artistic innovation, the best professional standards and the highest quality experience of all who participate.
- Alley Artists – We develop and support the company artists ideal to enable artists to deepen their work through long-term collaboration while strengthening their ties to the Houston community.
- Community Engagement – We engage with audiences, artists and patrons as essential members of our community and work consistently to instill a passion for theatre in all those we serve.
- Openness – We promote open discussion, cultural understanding and active learning by engendering respect for the broadest diversity of ideas, views, cultures and approaches to artistic endeavors.
- Education – We view the art and practice of theatre as a vital resource to support and further the goals of community education, professional training and life-long learning.