Alley Summer Conservatory 2021
Thank you for your interest in the Alley Theatre’s summer training program for high school students.
Alley Conservatory is a 3-week program for high school students (rising freshmen through recently graduated seniors).
Students will study with some of the best actors, directors, and playwrights the Alley Theatre has to offer.
Together with other talented young artists, students will take classes and create a theatre piece that culminates in a public performance.
Tuition for Alley Conservatory is $900. Limited scholarships are available, and applications are accepted during the audition video submission process.
Conservatory will be held in-person at the Alley Theatre: 615 Texas Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002
dates and times
Students must be able to commit to the entirety of the program.
June 7, 2021: Audition submissions and scholarship requests due. Acceptance notifications will be sent on a rolling basis.
July 9, 2021: Virtual meet and greet for class and parents.
July 12-30, 2021: Conservatory dates. Classes are held Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. One virtual performance will be held the evening of July 30 (Time TBD)
Alley Conservatory is a professional learning experience that begins with your audition. It is important for us to know our candidates can meet their commitments.
Students will audition for Conservatory using filmed submissions uploaded to YouTube and submitted via the form linked below.
- Students should prepare and memorize a monologue from a contemporary play or story (set after 1960.) Please, no monologues from film or TV. Students who need help choosing a monologue are welcome to use one of these.
- Monologues should be 1-2 minutes long.
- Students should start their monologue with a “slate,” stating their name, age, rising grade, and school. This can be done directly in the camera.
- If shooting with a phone, please film horizontally (landscape).
- When filming the monologue, please use a focal point slightly off camera, as if talking to someone just out of frame.
Please shoot the whole monologue in one take, and make sure the lighting and sound are adequate. We don’t need professional quality – just enough to showcase the student well.
- After the audition, the student should record a short intro:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to take part in the Alley Conservatory.
- This can be a separate take inside the same video file/link. Students may speak directly to camera for this.
- Please upload video submission to an unlisted YouTube link.
You’ll need to create an account if you don’t have one. Instructions can be found here.
- Submit your audition application and scholarship requests via this link.
As part of the audition application form, anyone applying for scholarships will need to answer two short essay questions:
- (Student) Tell us what you hope to gain from participating in the Conservatory. (500 character limit)
- (Student or Guardian) Please provide a short note describing the need for financial assistance. Financial documentation may be requested in certain instances. (500 character limit)
The safety of our students and staff is essential. We aim to keep everyone healthy and safe by utilizing CDC guidelines for K-12 schools, including:
daily heath screenings/temperature checks, mask wearing, distance recommendations, and regular sanitizing.
Contact Esme Wu at firstname.lastname@example.org.