The Alley Theatre does not accept unsolicited resumes. Resumes are only accepted for specific job openings. Job openings may be advertised here, in the Houston Chronicle or in the national Theatre Communication Group's (TCG) publication entitled "ArtSearch." The Alley Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please click on the position you are interested in for job description and application process.
- Telesales subscription positions available
- Telefunding subscription positions available
- Part-time, year round job, 16-28 hours a week (flexible hours)
- Opportunities for bonuses and advancement available for employees who exceed standards
- Average earnings with commission $11-15 per hour and cash bonuses for top earners
- Complimentary tickets to shows available as a benefit for committed work
- Resume and references required, PDF attachments to email ONLY
- Must be dependable and on-time
- Must be willing to learn and take direction
- Must be articulate and comfortable talking on the phone
- Basic computer skills and basic knowledge of theater is a plus
- Demonstrating knowledge of Alley Theatre, its season, and its education programs is a plus
- Location of the job is within the theatre buildings - no parking provided
- A learning-based, positive work environment. You must be comfortable learning in a team and one-on-one setting.
- Constant coaching to exceed goals and provide excellent customer care – super supportive environment toward your growth.
- Equality and diversity is welcome and makes the team stronger.
To apply send the following to Leigh Mumford at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- No phone calls or meetings will be considered prior to this step
- Your Resume in PDF format only
- Include References at the bottom of your Resume
- A brief Cover Letter in PDF format only, with three reasons why you think you would be a good candidate for this job
- Please include References at the bottom of your Resume.
The nationally recognized Alley Theatre (LORT B and C) in Houston, TX seeks qualified individuals to fill overhire Carpenter positions for productions in the 2015/2016 season. The Alley Theatre produces 14 shows in two spaces each year. Ideal candidates will be team players with strong organizational, interpersonal, and time-management skills. REQUIREMENTS: local to the Houston area and have experience building, loading-in and striking scenery. Stage Rigging experience and/or advanced finish carpentry skills, a plus. Candidates must be able to lift 50+ lbs. with no restrictions. Salary is commensurate with experience. Ability to work with varied personalities and timetables a must. Position is hourly, DOE, and eligible for overtime. No travel or housing compensation is available for this position. Please email letter of interest, resume and references to email@example.com with “Overhire Carpenter” in the subject line. No phone calls please. EOE. Click here for a job description.
The nationally recognized Alley Theatre (LORT B and C) in Houston, TX seeks an experienced and motivated Carpenter for the Scenery Department Staff. The Alley produces 14 productions in two performance spaces each year and recently completed a $46M renovation of the theatre facility. Candidates must have excellent carpentry, welding and rigging skills. Experience with CNC routers and stage automation systems a plus. The ideal applicant will have excellent interpersonal skills, a keen eye for detail and possess the ability to thrive in a team environment. This position is full-time hourly, eligible for overtime and includes paid vacation, health and dental benefits and 401(K) retirement plan. Email resume and references to Raymond Inkel, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Carpenter” in the subject line. No phone calls please. EOE. Click here for a full job description.
The nationally recognized Alley Theatre (LORT B and C) seeks qualified theatre technicians to fill the overhire Prop Carpenter position throughout the 2017-2018 Season. Prop Carpenter skill required: furniture construction, repair, and refinishing; painting; hand prop construction; metalworking. Sense of period design a plus. Ideal candidates will be team players with professional experience in technical theatre, and local to the Houston area. These positions are hourly, eligible for overtime, and hired on a per-show basis. No travel or housing compensation is available for these positions. Send resume and references with “Overhire Prop Carpenter” in the subject line to Karin Rabe, Properties Master. E-mail: email@example.com . No phone calls please. EOE.
The Alley Theatre (LORT B and C) in Houston, TX seeks an experienced, self-motivated and detail-oriented individual for Assistant Technical Director. The Alley is committed to equality and diversity in its workforce and encourages all interested parties to apply. The ATD will possess a solid background in engineering scenery construction projects in both wood and steel, as well as have a high level of proficiency with stage rigging and automation. Responsibilities include drafting in AutoCAD/Vectorworks, CNC programming, automation design, build scheduling and ordering materials and supplies. The Alley produces 14 shows in two spaces throughout the year. Three years of professional regional theatre experience preferred. This position is full-time salaried, with a benefits package including paid vacation, family health and dental, and a 401k retirement plan. Please send cover letter, resume and references to Aaron Wilson, Technical Director, firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Technical Director” in the subject line. EOE. Click here for a job description.
The development communications writer is the primary writer and editor for development department communications including grant proposals, direct mail appeals, case statements, stewardship communication pieces, annual report, brochure copy, program copy, and other communications pieces that are generated by the development department.
- Researches, writes, and edits high-level communications, publications, and/or reports with complex subject matter; assignments may include proposals, foundation grants, government grants, grant reports, briefing materials, talking points, solicitation materials, case statements, letters, direct mail solicitations, and web sites and content.
- Consults with development team and executive leadership regarding their communications needs to develop strategic approach for projects that utilize most-effective messages. Identifies efficiencies and streamlines work as appropriate.
- May develop or manage publications or web sites to meet communication needs and manage the approval process with numerous stakeholders.
- Edits and oversee production of a variety of print and online material.
- Attends development events as needed including rotation as host in the Greenroom for donors.
- All other duties as assigned.
- College degree required.
- Minimum three year’s direct experience. Samples required.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation and advanced skills to write clear, lively, engaging, compelling and effective copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and the broader public.
- Knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines.
- Research and fact verification skills.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Project management, organizational and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills.
- Skill to effectively work within a team environment and collaborate with others.
- Skill to maintain absolute confidentiality.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, writing samples and references via email to email@example.com. No phone calls. EOE.
The development associate works closely with and supports the director of special events. The special events department currently conducts four fundraising events per season.
- Provide support to the director of special events including but not limited to:
- Screen incoming phone calls
- Prepare correspondence
- Database management including list pulls, record updates, extractions
- Coordinate numerous large mail merge mailings
- Interact with vendors as needed
- Attend special events as needed
- Provide admin support to event chairs as needed
- Host the donor Greenroom during Hubbard Stage performances in staff rotation
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two years of experience in administrative support
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, written and verbal)
- Proficient in MS Office; proficiency in Tessitura preferred
- Passion for the performing arts, positive attitude, entrepreneurial spirit
- Detail oriented personality
- A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Four year college degree
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. EOE